Thursday 6 June 2013

EAP's Amazing Race! (Teacher's Day Outing)

18th of May 2013 marked the day of EAP’s first ever amazing race event. The race began at 2.00 pm and took place throughout the Bangsar Baru area. A total of 24 participants took part in the race, while 9 coordinators were assigned to four checkpoints scattered throughout the area. It was a perfect day for the race, as the sun was bright with no trace of rain, thus allowing the race to be conducted smoothly.
 
The event was organized to enhance the relationship between EAP staff members as well as to emphasize teambuilding. Hence, the challenges at each of the four checkpoints were designed to meet this goal. The challenges faced by participants included body coordination, receptive instructions, tolerance, as well as communication. Once participants had completed these challenges, they had to race back to the EAP centre for the fifth and final challenge; a tongue twister. 
 
When participants first arrived at the centre, they were filled with curiosity, excitement and apprehension about the upcoming challenges. However the moment the race began, all such feelings were replaced with fierce competitiveness and teamwork. The race took approximately one and a half hours to complete. After 45 minutes of rest back at the centre, participants then headed to dinner. 
 
The Masters of Ceremony, Nisha and Chloe, welcomed the guests and initiated icebreaking conversations before inviting the main coordinator of the event, Emma, to give a speech. Following the speech, guests were treated to a video highlighting Teachers’ Day and dinner was served afterwards. While everyone was enjoying dinner, the director of EAP Malaysia, Jochebed was called to present the prizes for all the participants. And this preceded her own speech which included an inspiring poem dedicated to Teacher’s Day (read the poem below).

Chloe and Nisha


Jochebed Isaacs
 
The event ended at around 6.30pm with everyone taking a group photo to commemorate this unforgettable event. All in all, the Amazing Race was an exhausting but highly enjoyable event and one which certainly enhanced the bond between all of us at EAP Malaysia.

 EAP Team
 
Written by:
Claudia, Choo Ying, Edward, Emma & Sunny
Therapists, EAP Malaysia
 
 
A Poem for Special Teachers
 
 You greet me every morning with a great big smile
Help me out of the car
Even if it takes a while

I am a little girl who cannot hear or speak
But still you understand me,
Week after week.

I have more challenges than most other people, you know
But you never give up on me
Even if my progress is slow

You help me with my daily life skills
Help me to succeed
Teach me how to sing and play
Adapt it to my special needs

I am strong and happy
I like to giggle and tease
Sometimes I may even drop down on my knees

You work very hard everyday,
Help me learn and grow
You are patient, kind and loving

This I wanted you to know
It takes a special person to be a teacher like you
And my Mommy and Daddy are grateful
For everything you do!

Written by
Monica McDivitt
(taken from: http://differentizgood.org/2011/04/a-poem-for-special-teachers/)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.