Tuesday 20 August 2013

Tolerance to Crowd

Children on the spectrum may find it difficult to be in a crowded area. There are many factors that trigger this behaviour. One of the reasons could be lack of predictability; they are unsure with the surroundings, lack of communication or lack of tolerance to sounds.
 
Google Image
 
There are many ways that we can teach them to tolerate to crowds:
 
1. Social story about crowds
 
- I like to go out with mummy and daddy.
- When I go into the supermarket there are many people. It’s ok.
- I can hold mummy’s hand, I can help daddy to push the trolley.
- If it’s too loud I can tell mummy that it is loud and I can wear headphones or ear plugs.
- It is not a big deal.
 
2. Prepare a video
 
3. Visual Schedule


 
4. Practice and Role play. Start off with less crowded area and then gradually increase to crowded area. 
 
5. Calendar will be a great way to increase their predictability. 
 
6. Rewards - It is important to reinforce your child’s effort with strong reinforces.
 
Written by:
Jerusha
Supervisor, EAP Malaysia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.