Thursday 26 April 2012

Therapist Training in Manila!

Last Friday I boarded the plane to Manila for the very first time in my life. I had always wanted to see Manila but I did not know that my first visit would be to present EAP’s Therapist Training to eighty ABA therapists. The workshop started around 8:30am in the morning with a short prayer followed by a gracious introduction of myself from Ginie, one of the Directors from TeamWorks. The workshop covered these areas: therapist responsibilities, socialization and play skills, reinforcement, discrete trials, prompting, data collection, behavioural support, generalization and preparing for a session.


I have conducted various workshops throughout my career in EAP Malaysia. There was something about this one that stood out from the rest. I was awed by the enthusiasm and the positive energy of the therapists in the room. Most of all, I was inspired by their eagerness to learn.

I would like to say a big thank you to Rodrigo, also one of the Directors from TeamWorks, and his team for making ABA therapy available and affordable to families in the Philippines. I admire Rod’s tenacity and his tireless effort in improving services for children with special needs. There is so much that we can learn from each other!

Picture 1
Everyone!

All good things must come to an end. During the closing of the workshop, one of the therapists asked me if I had any final advise for them. I thought to myself, “What can I tell this enthusiastic bunch of therapists?”  I told them to keep learning and continue to be open to new ideas and possibilities.  As I bid goodbyes to all the participants who came up to me and thanked me personally, I wonder if they know how much they have inspired me in this short seven hours.

p/s: Thank you to Bryan Barroma who took great care of my accommodation, drove me around, introduced me to Philippine’s food and made a special stop so that I could try the famous Cupcakes!


Written by 
Huey Sien 
Senior Consultant
EAP Malaysia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.