Thursday 12 April 2012

Through The Eyes of A Therapist.

theprince_small


Emma & the Prince practicing fine motor-skills through drawing.

I still remember the first time I stepped foot into EAP, it was during Lunch Play when the children were gathered and singing songs with their teachers. It was such a cheerful moment to soak in.  I could hear the teachers’ happy voices as they shadowed their children. Just being in that environment brought a smile to my face like a little girl who had just been given a huge cotton candy. At that very moment, I knew I wanted to be part of this family.

The first boy whom I was assigned to observe was referred to as “the Prince”. I was very nervous when asked to play with him, as I did not know if there was a particular way of playing with him. Back then, as a part-time therapist, I didn’t get to spend much time building a strong rapport with the Prince.

January 2012 was my first month working as a full-timer. I was assigned to 2 children this time, the Prince and another whom I referred to as Pooh Bear, due to his liking for ‘Winnie the Pooh’.  Days went by, and my rapport with each of them grew stronger. There were moments when I wasn’t sure of what to do or how to handle behaviour issues. However, with help from the consultants, trainer, and my colleagues, I learnt so much. I made a daily effort to improve myself and to further comprehend the needs of these children. They always made my day. It brings me great joy just to see them smiling, laughing, playing with their peers, and playing games on the iPad (a skill which I myself don’t possess).

I sometimes wish I had more time for other things like everyone else but then when I think of the smiles on these children’s faces after accomplishing a task, or simply having fun. That’s when I know that I want to belong there, in their world making them smile and providing assistance for them to explore their strengths and uniqueness. The Prince builds the best train tracks compared to any other 5 year-old, even those with normal development. Pooh Bear’s compliance and cheerful character makes everyone at the centre smile.

Every day I come home and reflect on the lessons I had. I always find myself smiling because I know for every minute spent with my assigned children at the centre really contributes to their development and sense of achievement. Whenever I get the chance to spend some time going out on weekends, I find myself thinking about the Prince and Pooh Bear. It is almost natural to look out for toys they might like to play with. Although  it is apparent that Angry Birds are always the dominant choice. 

Well, long story short, working at EAP has caused me to realize that this is my passion: Children. I love them so much that work doesn’t really feel like work. There is indeed a saying that goes, “Find a job that you love, and you’ll never have to work”. I’m glad I found mine.




Written by 
Emma
Therapist & music teacher, 
EAP Malaysia




Editor's note: Emma has been with EAP Malaysia as a part-timer since September 2011 and then as a full-timer since January 2012. She is a passionate and dedicated therapist who has great enthusiasm in her work with children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.